I am so proud of Todd. He is a great Police Officer. He called just a minute ago to say that he just got an email from his sgt. saying that he did an outstanding job on a report he had to write. (just so you know, this never happens. Not that Todd doesn't usually write good reports, but sgts. rarely just offer words of praise or accept a report the first time you write it. They usually send it back a couple of times for corrections.) All of their reports have to be grammatically correct, no spelling errors, and must be accurate. It usually takes several tries before a sgt. will accept the report. ANWAY...my point is Todd was so proud and I love that the first thing he wanted to do was call and share his excitment with me! I love him so much!It is hard being a Police Officers wife sometimes. Granted, I am not complaining because I knew it would be hard when I said "I Do"!!! :) But still, it gets kinda lonely sometimes. I am so thankful
Below are words from another Police Officer's Wife. They express exactly how I feel... I could have writen them myself! (I know it looks lengthy, but it is really worth reading!)

"Much is said about the hardships of being the spouse of a police officer. In magazines, on the television and in the movies, life with an officer is portrayed as difficult, unrewarding and depressing. Books I've read and chat rooms I've visited offering "support" for police spouses dwell on topics like divorce, infidelity and absentee husbands.
Friends, colleagues and new acquaintances often ask me what it's like being married to an officer. "Isn't it hard?" "How do you deal with it? How does it not totally stress you out being married to a police officer?"
Yes, there are the lonely nights, unpredictable schedules, on-duty injuries, ripped clothing and meetings with hookers we get to hear about that make our marriages unique. And make it seem like nothing but stress to civilians. But, I tell them, it's not all the doom and gloom that common stereotypes make it out to be. There are many reason I love being married to my husband.
I stand proud as the wife of one of our nation's first responders, especially after 9-11. Police, firefighters, paramedics – these are our soldiers on the home front and receive the same respect and pride from me as I feel for our soldiers fighting on foreign lands.
Police officers see the bad and the horrible in society, often making them cynical and pessimistic. While I sometimes tease him for being anti-social, I also realize that exposure to the horrors of life has made him able to appreciate the joys of life in equal measure. He appreciates our home life and the simple pleasures of long hikes in the woods and nike rides for the true blessings in life they are.I like the fact that I can never get lost – not for long anyway. Being married to an officer is like having your own personal MapQuest. And I like that when Halloween comes around, I've got costume accessories at my fingertips if I need them.
Having an officer around also saves me money on party entertainment, both for kids and adults. "Officer Todd" is better (and cheaper) than any clown or entertainer I could hire. And we never have awkward pauses at social gatherings. There's always someone who wants to know if he's been shot. Or arrested a celebrity. Or been in any high-speed chases lately.I am married to someone who knows safety drills and emergency preparedness in and out. And our family benefits from that.
When the JSO is in crisis and the media attacks, I dig out my blue ribbon pin, my gold badge necklace and my Honor bracelet and wear them proudly. I hope that people notice and comment, so I can defend my husband and his colleagues and remind people of the honest, hard work they do every day that goes all-to-often unnoticed.

We are the ones these men and women in uniform talk to every night after a long shift. We are the ones they tell of their feats, fears and frustrations. We work hard to create a strong foundation at home for our families, a haven of safety for these men and women to come home to. And we must keep it all together with a smile, when all we want to do is smother them in a protective hug.
My husband gives to the community every day he walks out the door. This is my way of giving also and showing my support and thanks for our men and women in blue."
I LOVE YOU, HONEY, AND AM SO PROUD OF THE OFFICER THAT YOU ARE!!!

3 comments:
We are so thankful for all the men and women who have vowed to protect us - thank you Todd!
Hey- is that Mark Sowell in one of the pictures with Todd?
Hi, came across this doin a search for "Mark Sowell JSO"
I was one of his students when he taught at Sandalwood and I actually ran into him today at the Town Center.
I understand if you don't feel comfortable giving out the information, but I tried to get his phone number and didn't save it to my phone. Just wondering if you might be able to share that with me?
Thanks!
You dont know me. I also am and officers wife and just googled "being a police officers wife" and stumbled across your blog. I just wanted to say AMEN.
I identify with all of this and thank you for posting it.
AMEN! And God Bless our officer's!
Jani
Post a Comment