Tuesday, May 27, 2008

My birthday weekend


I turned 28 years old this weekend. I see 30 on the horizon! WOW!

On Friday, Todd and I went to the Police Memorial and Museum in Titusville, FL. It was featured as a One Tank Trip on channel 12. It was a 2 hour drive there and 2 hours back. It gave us a great chance to talk and laugh. The Museum was ok...interesting, but nothing to write home about.





The Memorial was wonderful and was a sombering reminder of how fragile life is....especially in Todd's line of work. There are thousands of names of fallen officers engraved on large granite walls. Family and friends bring flowers and momentos to place under their loved ones name. In the middle of the room is a memorial dedicated to The Unknow Peace Officers. It has the verse "Blessed are the peacemakers..." engraved on it. Todd and I looked up an officer that was killed in a drunk driving accident here in Jax. It was sombering to see the name of someone you know of written on the wall. As we were walking around the memorial I was reminded of this poem:
I Watch Him
I watch him as he rises before his alarm,
Another day to get ready and prepare for potential harm.
He gets out of the shower, fresh for the day,
He starts his routine, I just stay out of the way.
I watch as he pulls out his uniform of blue,
He pins on his badge, it looks shiny, but not new.
His name tag, he places perfectly straight in a line.
I watch him with pride, I'm so glad that he's mine.
On goes his belt, with necessary tools, every one,
Handcuffs, baton, extra ammo clip and gun.
He kisses me gently, caresses my face ever so sweet,
I watch him walk out the door and right out on the streets.
I pray each day, as he walks out the door
'Please God, bring him back home to me once more!'
I watch as he comes home, after an extra long day,
Weary and tired, with not much to say.
Stabbings, shootings, women tormented by abuse,
There's always a bad guy out there on the loose.
He's out there to protect and serve in his town,
Ever ready to be there when a call comes down.
He is ready to give his life, for another,
Leaving behind his kids, wife, father and mother.
I watch as with pride, I'm reminded once more,
Make every moment special, before he walks out the door.
Author Unknown


We also went to the shooting range while we were their. I was so nervous! I had an instructor showing me what to do. He was a funny, older man named Bill. After I shot the first bullet, I put the gun down, turned to him and said, "I think I just peed my pants." It was so scary and empowering all at the same time! I thought Bill was going to die laughing. I guess they don't have very many gilry-girls come to the gun range!

I had a target that could be moved different distances. I shot 40 bullets at 20 feet without missing the target at all and then shot 10 bullets at 50 feet and only missed 2. That's pretty good shooting for a newbie! Todd was very impressed and vowed to never make me mad...and to knock before entering the house! :)


**On the other side of the law**

**Seriously? Do boys ever grow up?**

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We went to Cracker Barrel on Sunday evening with Todd's family for my birthday dinner. I chose to go to CB because I love the homestyle chicken that they offer on Sunday's. yum-o! Then Todd took the dogs and I out to the beach for a walk. We enjoyed walking in the water with the pups. It was really relaxing and fun just to hang out with each other. The dogs LOVE playing in the ocean and jumping over the waves. They also love riding in the back of the Wrangler!

On Monday we went on a bike ride and then went to my parents house for dinner. Aunt Kay and Unlce Chuck came to visit. It was great to visit with everyone. We love hanging out with our families. They are really all that matters in life!

Over all it was a great weekend with my hubby!

2 comments:

Strawberry Rose said...

Happy Birthday! I'm glad y'all had a great weekend.

Gloria said...

Nothing like a woman who can handle her ammunition AND embroider cutie little flowers on towels!

Happy Birthday