Thursday, January 13, 2011

Identity Crisis

I have struggled for a long while now with my identity. Sounds weird, I know. However, when Todd and I started out on our journey together, I assumed I would be "Priscilla: Wife and Mother". A role I was anxious to take on! After multiple years of infertility and trying to figure out the latter part of my identity, I felt like I was morphing into "Priscilla: Infertile Wife"! I wasn't sure where I fit. All of my friends quickly became parents and were moving into a category that I didn't fit in. This left me feeling like "Who am I?". Does this at all make sense? Or are you slowly backing away from the computer saying, "Whoa. She's crazier than I thought."?


Anyway. I think there is a place deep down, in some dark closet of my heart, where I knew what God was calling me to do. But, who likes to clean out those closets? Not me. 
As the New Year rolled around I decided it was time. Time to redefine myself. Time to put on my big girl shoes and move on.  

To make a long story short, Todd and decided God is calling us to put aside our goals (for now) and to do Foster Care full-time. Shocker, huh? After I stomped my feet and pitched such a temper tantrum! 
We had our January Inspection a couple of days ago and then made the call to put us back on the priority list. The Boys Home is very thankful we are sticking with it. They had called before the Holidays and begged us not to give up. They were impressed with how we stood up for ourselves and the kids, but stayed within the guidelines of our license. We explained that we would be interested in continuing on as Foster Parents as long as they were ok with the fact that we will always stand up for what is right, no matter what. They agreed. 

There is a back story to this decision, however, it is going to be shared on my new blog. Let's talk about this blog. I have decided to write the new blog in lieu of writing a book. I had been approached by several people who wanted to use our story in their book (which I wasn't comfortable with) and then I was approached by an editor who offered to help me write a book. Although this sounds very exciting, I didn't feel like I wanted to do it. By the time the book is written and edited you would be reading it in past tense and I didn't like that idea. Plus, Blogs are "now" and much more manageable in my mind. So, I decided to do it. It will be an anonymous, monetized blog that I will write in story form. I am still hammering out the details and working on sponsors. I will use previous posts as back story and then it will continue to chronicle our journey! I will definitely post details as I get closer... it shouldn't be too much longer!
I will keep this blog and use it for fun things and to write about our house and family events.

My final thought for today: It's stinkin' cold! Brrrrrr!!!!

0 comments: