The past several months, God has been speaking to Todd and I. He has been asking us questions: "Do you really want MY best, or do you want to handle this on your own?" And He also reminded us of His promises: "I will settle the barren woman in her home as the happy mother of children"
We felt God was leading us into a new season in our journey. For us, our convictions and lifestyle, we had 3 options:
1. Continue to wait and see if children come naturally.
2. Forget about it and not have any children.
3. Adopt
For most, this decision seems easy.... adopt. But, for us, this decision had many layers of thought. Adoption is not just a quick answer to a "problem". It is a lifetime commitment that should not be taken lightly. It can have ups and downs. AND.... it is very expensive. This third scenario is the one that brought Todd and I to a stopping place when talking about adoption.
We have made a decision that for our family and situation it is best for me to stay home, which means we live on one salary... and a "police officers salary" at that! :) We are very resourceful and do the best with what we have. We do not have any debt and try to pay cash for what we buy. If we don't have the money, we don't buy it. That's why when adoption came up, we hesitated. It takes roughly $30,000 to adopt an American child. All of which is due when you take the little bundle of joy home! Now, Todd and I save, but, this is a chunk of change for us.
So, when God spoke this week and we strongly felt Him saying "adopt", we quickly replied "how?". After much talk and debate, we decided obedience was not an "option"... it MUST be done. So, now let's see how God works this thing! We decided to get resourceful and make this happen. So, here is our plan:
Have you heard THIS story? This couple (who is way more resourceful than us!) decided to collect aluminum cans to pay for their wedding. They needed to collect 400,000 cans in 7 months in order to reach their goal. Well, within 3 months, with the help of family and friends, they are at 366,000 (when I checked last week).
What you do is collect aluminum cans and then take them to your local recycling plant (here in Jax we have several). They cash them in for you and give you $$$. The price of aluminum is up so you get $.50 for every pound of aluminum (roughly 30 cans).
This idea got me thinking. How resourceful! Along with saving, if Todd and I could collect cans, we could have the $$$ within a year!
So friends and family, I am asking you to donate your empty cans to a worthy cause! Soda cans, Beer cans, Energy drinks, anything aluminum... let me take your trash off of your hands! ;)
Here's how it will work: When you drink something out of a can, remember us! EVERY can will make a difference in this situation, so please don't throw any away. Instead, crush it and put it in a trash bag and start collecting. When you fill a trash bag drop it off at my house... or if you are in town, leave me a comment and I will come get it from you!
"What if I am out of town and want to help?", you ask. Well, I encourage you (just like this other couple did) to save your cans also and take them to your local recycling plant yourself. Cash those cans in, buy yourself a coffee, and then come here and put the rest in my pay pal account. Even if it is just $.80; every little bit will add up! ![]()
This plan makes me happy for several reasons:
1. So many people have heard our story and offered to help in any way possible, and this will give them a chance.
2. I love promoting recycling and thinking about the environment. As you know, if you read my rambling blog, I love to recycle!
3. It will be a great story for the little one that God brings into our life!
4. It's a lesson in obedience and resourcefulness.
We mentioned this idea to some friends of ours last night and they were so excited for us! My dear friend went into work this morning and told her co-workers and they decided to collect cans as a team at their office! How exciting! I can't wait to see what a testimony this journey is going to be to these people that I don't even know!
Todd and I are so excited about this new journey! We called the adoption agency we are going with today and went and picked up the application. I am calling tomorrow to get the home study scheduled and then we will be on the waiting list!
So, who's with me? Is anyone else out there (all 18 of you who read this, anyway!) willing to save a can, so we can save a child?
Cape San Blas
7 years ago

16 comments:
we are in In IN!!!
You know we support you guys fully. We have a number of friends that have adopted children via American agencies, overseas agencies, and through the Sate of Florida. If you adopt through the State of Florida, there is NO expenses and in fact they pay you a monthly stipend, the child has full medical benefits for free until the age of 18, and their college is paid in full to any of the Florida colleges. You are allowed to select race, age, sex, and any allow or disallow for any special needs. The complete process takes ironically about 9 months. My friends have found that this route has been an incredibly rewarding experience and have had no regrets. If you would like more information, I would be happy to introduce them to you. We found a calculator on the recycling for you to help in your calculations. 32 cans = 1 lb. It will take approximately 2 millions can for you guys to raise $30K at $ .50 a lb.
This is a great idea, Priscilla. You have obviously thought about it a lot and done your research-- it sounds like a neat way to earn a great deal of the money for the adoption! I will see if we can collect cans at work for you!
We don't drink out of cans hardly ever but I will def try and save up a stash for ya! :)
Thanks girls! We are so humbled by the responses we have been getting already!
Joy I know we talked about this tonight, but I just want to clarify for others reading -
We are looking into adopting through the State of Florida, but there are a few things we need answered before we go this route. In the mean time, we are going to do our homestudy and spend the next week figuring out which agency we are going through.
And to clarify for my friends - we are not expecting to collect all $30,000 in cans... just want to try to help with some of the expense!
Great idea! We don't drink a lot of canned drinks -- but we will totally save any cans we use for you guys & we'll spread the word!
Oh Cilla this is so exciting! I'm totally saving cans (we don't have much, but like you said every little bit helps)! I might even be seen rummaging through the neighbors recycling bins on Monday nights! I'm so excited!
Thanks Kristin! :)
Gloria- I saiD the same thing! I think I am going to print a flyer and pass it out in our neighborhood! I know our surrounding neighbors would help! .... And Lord knows the one across the street has enough ne'er cans for us to adot 2 kids!!! ;) THANK YOU for your support!!
....Oops! That was "beer cans"!
This is wonderful! I am so encouraged by your maturity and your focus on God. I love you!
Blessings and hugs,
Sherry Wright Bryant
Jeremiah 29:11-13
Galations 5:1
Love this idea! Praying for you an your journey!
Just found you through a friend. :) I'll send any cans I have your way... but can I also post this on my own blog and FB page and link to it? http://mustardseeds-jennifer.blogspot.com/ PS - I think my husband might know you. Small world. :)
hi...I had just heard about the 'free' adoptions through Fl too! We will be looking into that in the near-ish future too! In the meantime just wanted to say hi and we will help however we can! (no pun intended)...btw, my husband is a few weeks from being a police-man himself!-Kim Reeves
What a cool idea! We don't use many cans, but I will save what we do use. Praying God provides in every way!
I will be collecting cans for you! We don't drink a lot of canned drinks, but I'll get my friends to collect too! :)
-Viviane
good luck! I wish you guys all the best! as you know I'm a huge fan of adoption! Ours cost 1/2 that though- I'd love to talk to you about the agency we used and there is a branch in your area! email me if you'd like! mesa cole 812 at gmail dot com
Post a Comment