Monday, June 30, 2008

Get it done!

For quite a while now our closets have been filling up with clothes, shoes, belts, hats, purses and such that we either seldom wear, they don't fit right or we (mainly me) are holding on to them in hopes of fitting in them "one day".

I am well aware that most Americans have this problem. However, we live in a small house with small closets. I don't even have a closet. All of my clothes are stored in an armoire and a dresser. We have a bed that sits up on a platform with drawers. We store 'out of season clothes' and misc. stuff in the drawers.

Let me just take a moment to state that I am an Organization Freak...and by freak I mean CRAZY LADY! It's not that I am a snob about it, I just CANNOT function if things aren't organized and clean. Please don't dismiss this as my drama mama coming out. I literally mean I cannot function without organization.

Now picture our bedroom with my clothes in the floor (stacked in organized piles, mind you!), shoes overflowing from my armoire, bags shoved in a corner. Are you getting the picture? Our bedroom literally made me cringe. Well, I cringed for the last time last weekend.

Todd was working (Have you noticed through my blogging that I get a lot of stuff done on his work cycles?!) and I got on one of my organizing binges. I cleaned out 7 trash bags full of stuff to take to Goodwill. I went by the rule, "If you haven't used it in a year, get rid of it". Of course there are a few exceptions to this rule, but for the most part I cleaned it all out!
It feels so good to have everything back in its place. I literally felt like a burden had been lifted! :)

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Hey! I don't know if you remember me but I remember you from when you used to babysit the Ellis family kids. I have read a little of your story and just wanted you to know I am praying for you. And thank the Lord for times where we can get organized! It feels so good when it is done!!

Strawberry Rose said...

That's wonderful! Good for you. I always feel better after organizing.

Gloria said...

Good for you! I call my crazy organization madwoman moments....."purging." Arthur teases the cats and tells them "you better be careful or mommy will purge you!" I decided to attack the closet in my office this past weekend. I've decided that I have an addiction to office supplies

a girl and her love said...

Well... hey! It's been a while and I stumbled on this blog by chance the other day. It breaks my heart to see the pain you are going through. At the same time, I am so thankful you are wrapped in the arms of our gracious Heavenly Father. I would love to catch up with you... we will be in FL in about a month! my email address is thesextons06@gmail.com.
Love ya, Cil! ~Courtney

Your Gospel-Loving Friend said...

What a good feeling!! I'm a tad OCD as well when it comes to most things, especially organizing. Noah knows which toys go in which labeled bin for the most part & Jonathan just makes fun of me for teaching him where they go! But the mind just works better when things are in the right spot! :)

Holly said...

Okay, Hicks. . .3 posts in one day! I think I am just about caught up now.