Wait. Wait. Wait. That's the phase of the process we are in. I don't like to wait. It's boring. The only exciting thing happening is watching all these cans pour in! I have learned something about cans. They smell. Badly. Especially beer cans.
My original goal was to let them pile up as long as possible. I thought it would make a dramatic picture! Plus, it's alot more exciting to say "we have over 3,000 cans" than to say "we have $50 worth of cans"!!! :) Alas, the smell and clutter caused this neat freak to cave and we had to go cash them in!
We filled our entire van with 12 bags of cans.


Todd and I played the guessing game as to how much it would be worth. Todd said $40 and I guessed $60. We arrived at the recycling company that we decided to go with and they were shocked at how many we had!

It ended up weighing 92lbs! WOWZERS! It equaled out to $50.60.... right in the middle of where we had guessed!

Of course, it turns out we cashed them prematurally as 5 more bags showed up on our door the next day! So.... my guessing is, if we keep collecting at this rate, we should have almost $1,000 to go towards the adoption at the end of a year. Which means that's $1000 less that has to come out of our savings! Not too shabby for cashing in trash!
I have 2 favorite things about this can thing:
A. It's amazing how kind people are and how much they want to help us start a family. It is really touching to hug your necks as I pick up (or you drop off) cans and hear you say that you have been praying for us. This has been a long frustrating journey for us and to know that other people care is amazing!
B. It is helping the time pass during this waiting period. It helps us feel like something is happening. Does that make sense?
Anyway - it was pretty neat to go cash the cans in and see how they weigh them and everything. We'll be taking another load soon as I am now determined to not let them pile up and stink-up our garage! We are putting all the money in my Paypal account, and will add a ticker to my blog soon so we can watch it add up!
We are attending our first adoption class tonight. The orientation was a couple of weeks ago and was.... what's the word.... interesting. I am curious to see how the actual classes are.
On a side note - we have begun praying about fostering children while we wait for the adoption to happen. ...not sure yet... gonna talk to a social worker about that tonight. I'll keep you posted!
(I'm gonna update this post in a minute from my iPhone so I can add pics!)

1 comments:
Praying for y'all. Excited about the cans coming in!
Post a Comment