Sunday, March 30, 2008

Chef Cilla


So, I LOVE to cook! And the more kitchen gadgets I can use in the process, the better!!! I get the love for cooking from my mom and the need for gadgets from my dad...thanks you guys!!!

A while back I started slacking in the kitchen department. I guess I just got lazy and then we started easting out too much. I blame it on Todd's CRAZY schedule, but the truth is I just got lazy! So, I decided to kick my butt in gear and get back in the kitchen.

I am officially back in meal planning mode. I am a total health/organic freak. Lucky for me Todd doesn't mind eating healthy. My new recipe for this week is Carrot Muffins with 1/3 less fat Cream Cheese Frosting!!! It makes for a good breakfast muffin and only has 230 calories. Which sounds like alot but most muffins can be up to 500 calories. Plus it is made with applesauce to cut back on the fat! They are very sweet and a great way to sneak carrots into your kids tummy! Here is the recipe:

1/4 cup canola oil
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour (you can find this next to the flour on the baking aisle...it can be added to any cookie or pastry)
1/2 cup of regular flour (if you use all whole wheat flour it tastes too grainy, but if you use only white flour, you loose out on the wheat!)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg OR allspice
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 finely shredded carrots (if you toss them in flour before putting them in the batter they won't sink to the bottom!)

Frosting
4 oz. Neufchatel Cheese (just like cream cheese but 1/3 less fat...you can find it next to the cream cheese in the dairy aisle)
3/4 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 tsp. lemon zest

Muffin Directions:
Cream canola oil, brown sugar and eggs. Combine dry ingredients and slowly add to wet ingredients along with applesauce, vanilla and carrots. Fill muffin pans and cook for 10-12 minutes or toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Frosting Directions:
Beat Cheese and lemon zest and slowly add in confectioners sugar until creamy. (because the cheese has 1/3 less fat this icing will be a tenny bit runnier than regular cream cheese icing so don't be alarmed by it's texture)
Wait until muffins cool before icing.
This frosting is fantastic over pound cake, too!

Wha La! (as my grandmother would say) Todd and Emily scarfed these down! Try these this week and let me know what you think!

1 comments:

Gloria said...

I wish I LOVED to cook. Cooking and myself have the type of relationship where we barely tolerate each other. I blame working full time for my lack of kitchen time referring back to when we first got married and I wasn't working outside of the home. Back then I would make appetizers to go with our evening meal! Nowadays at 5 o'clock Arthur and I race to be the first one to call the other from our desks at our respective offices - whoever calls first gets to ask the magic question...."what's for dinner tonight?"

Your carrot muffins sound so YUMMY! I'm inspired -whether or not that translates to getting my behind in the kitchen to try out the recipe is a whole other blog!